Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mindless Mayhem


My heart bleeds for my city, Hyderbad. This city, which gets praises and compliments for its cleanliness and beauty from visitors is being abused by pro-Telangana people. And this time their target was the lovely Hussain sagar lake or Tank Bund as it's popularly known. They mindlessly pulled down some statues that dotted this stretch of bund that connected the twin cities - Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Statues of Sri Kirishnadevaraya, Gurujada Apparao, Kandukuri Veereshalingam, Annamacharya and a few others were pulled down - the reason because they were from Andhra region!


But do they understand that these statues represent the Telugu culture. Do they even have an iota of idea the efforts and the number of days that have gone into making what Tank Bund is now (or rather was). I am a witness to the development of Tank Bund as a citizen of this city. I have seen it grow into a beautiful landmark over the years. I remember my father holding my hand and walking me towards each statue and relating the importance of them in our Telugu culture.


If you have to know, I am from Telangana but do not subscribe to the views or acts of these Telangana activists who are being used to fulfill the political aspirations of few.

No comments: