Thursday, June 30, 2011

Unromantically Romantic

Like any girl dreams of having tall, dark, handsome, romantic, understanding, loving man in her life, I too dreamt of having one. And my husband fits the frame of tall, dark, handsome, loving and understanding to the T in the conventional context. Romantic is the element which does not fit. That does not mean that he’s not romantic it’s just that he does not fit the bill in the conventional terms.
He does not serenade me with flowers or chocolates, but brings to my notice any discounts being offered by spas and parlors and eggs me to try the experience. He does not get me gifts but has never said “No” to my shopping sprees. He does not plan surprise dinner dates or eat outs but gets all the needed groceries and veggies without me having to tell him. He does not and cannot dish out great delicacies in the kitchen but lays the table and picks up left over after a meal without me having to tell him. He does not whisper sweet nothings into my ears on a beautiful day but lets me sleep late, and proceeds to boil the milk and make his tea.
In the initial years of my marriage it was tough for me to come to terms with this perceived unromantic side of my husband. But it did not take long for me to see the beautiful other side of his - THE ROMANTIC SIDE.

4 comments:

Ankita said...

as if the mirror has come in front...
its not been too long for my marriage, but i guess your hubby & mine were molded by same earth :)

Srija Padmnanabhan (Chickoo) said...

:) aren't they gorgeoous in their gestures. I simply love it now.

Rama Ananth said...

Well one more to join this gang is me. I too have a husband, who is wonderful, but lacks the art of whispering sweet nothings,surprise me romantic gifts, and all other equally romantic attributes that one has been fed and conditioned by the Mills& Boons novels.
But he is a very nice person, gives me the space I need without asking, and does'nt crib about my spending, and would be waiting for a chance to cook, which also he does very well.
Even I am very grateful that life had sent him to me.

Srija Padmnanabhan (Chickoo) said...

Rama, Touchwood to that. The beauty and their love lies in their gestures, which are effortless.