Friday, May 13, 2011

Soulful Songs

Image Courtesy: http://www.rustyspell.com/


ABBA, the phenomenal Swedish quartet that reigned the dance-pop and disco scene in the 70s and the 80s continues to exercise its influence on present-day music – if you have listened to Madonna’s ‘Hung Up’ from her latest album ‘confessions on a Dance Floor’, you’ll know that she based this best-selling single on ABBA’s ‘Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

Some of their songs have endured the passage of time and owe it to their strong catch melodies, fantastically complemented by synthesizers, electric guitar riffs and soearing vocals. The songs of ABBA seldom fail to set you going on the dance floor!

I was introduced to the music of ABBA on a humid summer afternoon of 1987 at my maternal grandmother’s place in Kerala. I instantly took a liking to their music. Though at that young age I couldn’t grasp a word of the lyrics, I quite enjoyed the beats as it allowed me to shake a leg.

‘Mamm mia’ displays ABBA’s uncanny knack for creating brilliant choruses. After listening to the track you might hear yourself exclaim: Mamma Mia! I enjoy beats of the songs and, especially the way lead singers Agnetha and Frida belt out ‘Here I go again my my, how can I resist her’.

SOS catapulted ABBA into mainstream British pop-music, and the band was no longer regarded as a one-hit wonder (waterloo was ABA’s first No 1 UK); the lyrics of SOS have an urgency to them, and the song itself has a danceable rhythm to it. Written by Benny Anderson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, the song ‘I have a dream, s song to sing’ is very lyrical and like a gospel anthem. What I like about this inspirational single is the use of the large choir of children. Their other songs, ‘Money, Money,’ Chiquita, ‘I do, I do’ are all quite memorable too.

Note: This article written by me was published in Maharashtra Herald, April 22, 2006 (Reviews & More)

No comments: