Thursday, July 14, 2011

Me and my beast



The picture you are seeing out here is of my vehicle, I call it a beast! J. Of course, because of its vast size! My good friend, Monirupa even has a name for it – Elephant. She says its ground clearance is so high you feel as if you are mounting on to rather than getting into a vehicle.
Yes indeed, I was scared to tame this beast but it was my husband who gave me the push and courage to drive it. Though I drove it gingerly just like anyone would a new born, I soon learnt to control it. And it’s now been my constant everyday for the last nine months. And yes, when I am driving this down the streets I do get all the eyeballs.
 The best compliment I get is when a man driver turns back and looks at me in awe, and the best a woman had paid a compliment is, “You look like a stud driving it” - and that compliment was paid by my colleague Ramya.
But the super compliment I got and cherish is from my hubby. He once said to my parents when I was ferrying them to a relative’s place, “Relax papa, she drives better than me.”

6 comments:

Monirupa Shete said...

Interestingly even my daughter likes to ride the Elephant (during those occasional lifts). Guess she gets a better view of the cows and buffaloes :D
I always say, when you're sitting with Srija, you should watch for the truck drivers, even they find it hard to maneuver when she takes those sharp cuts. No wonder she's on their hit list :)
Babe you are fantastic driver!

Srija Padmnanabhan (Chickoo) said...

:) ROFL. Trust Moni to come up with these awesone lines which has you in splits. Thanks for your wonderful comment, babes. Btw, today was one of those occasional lifts day, and I got to see Maau getting excited seeing buffaloes, (no we did not spot cows) and hear her calling me "Aundy" all through the drive. Aundy is no spelling mistake that's how Maau pronounces it. A typical mallu way

Srija Padmnanabhan (Chickoo) said...

Rejoinder: Moni says Maau knows who the driver is so she decided to impress me by calling "Aundy"

Monirupa Shete said...

And when I try teaching her bengali, all does is giggle. Guess the Elephant is the differentiating factor! :(

Pretty Woman said...

the beauty and the beast, in a different sense, eh? I miss riding with you to work...enjoying myself...always late... ;)

Srija Padmnanabhan (Chickoo) said...

:)I remember, you wouldn't respond to my talks and when I turned to look at you, you would be dozing away or simply enjoying the air.